- Couples should be referred to a fertility specialist after their first full year of unsuccessful attempts to get pregnant.
- They should be referred sooner if they know of a clinical cause behind their infertility.
- Women under 40 who have been trying to conceive are offered three full cycles of in vitro fertilisation (IVF).
- Patients aged 40 to 42 are offered one cycle.
- The quality standards also say that people who are of a reproductive age who are preparing to have treatment for cancer should be offered to have their eggs or sperm frozen and preserved.
More top news
Blazing sunshine with a chilly breeze
In a wide-ranging Peston on Sunday interview, he said Parliament security needs reviewing and the PM's counter-terror strategy is flawed.
The star celebrated his 70th birthday with his family before attending a celebrity-filled bash held in his honour.