- Couples should be referred to a fertility specialist after their first full year of unsuccessful attempts to get pregnant.
- They should be referred sooner if they know of a clinical cause behind their infertility.
- Women under 40 who have been trying to conceive are offered three full cycles of in vitro fertilisation (IVF).
- Patients aged 40 to 42 are offered one cycle.
- The quality standards also say that people who are of a reproductive age who are preparing to have treatment for cancer should be offered to have their eggs or sperm frozen and preserved.
More top news
X-Men star Hugh Jackman has called on people to use sunscreen after having a cancerous growth removed from his face.
An Indian soldier has been found alive six days after an avalanche hit the Siachen glacier in the Himalayas.
A cruise ship had to abandon its voyage to the Bahamas after being caught up in hurricane-like conditions off the US coast at the weekend.