- Couples should be referred to a fertility specialist after their first full year of unsuccessful attempts to get pregnant.
- They should be referred sooner if they know of a clinical cause behind their infertility.
- Women under 40 who have been trying to conceive are offered three full cycles of in vitro fertilisation (IVF).
- Patients aged 40 to 42 are offered one cycle.
- The quality standards also say that people who are of a reproductive age who are preparing to have treatment for cancer should be offered to have their eggs or sperm frozen and preserved.
More top news
Nearly 38,000 runners will hope to complete Sunday's London Marathon making it the biggest event in its 35-year history.
Rain across central Britain with longer, intense downpours with thunder in places this evening. A lucky few will stay sunny and dry.
Planning on going to the London Marathon tomorrow? Read our handy guide first!