Former City minister Lord Myners wants to replace this with a slimmed-down "plc and beyond" structure staffed by professionally-trained directors.
The former Marks & Spencer boss was appointed a director of the Co-operative Group in December but announced he is to leave following this weekend's vote.
He has said it was apparent to him from the first time he attended a board meeting that not one of its members had the ability to address the complex issues faced by a group burdened with £1.4 billion of debt.
This weekend's ballot will be decided by representatives of its independent societies and affiliated organisations - who hold 22% of the vote - and others voting on behalf of its regional membership boards making up the remaining 78%.
More top news
Kate will join Prince William on a tour of the Stephen Lawrence Centre before visiting a charity working with disadvantaged young people.
There is an "urgent need" for a "simpler and more trusted" system for investigating clinical failures, according to a damning report.
Over 100 mothers and fathers were investigated for leaving their children unsupervised in the final three months of 2014, new figures find.