Advertisement

Farmhouse blaze in Hampshire blamed on rodents

Rats were named as the most likely cause for a fire that engulfed a family home in Hampshire on Sunday.

Four adults and four children managed to escape from the historic property in Cheriton, after rodents chewed through electrical cables and set the house on fire.

The fire was most likely to have been caused by rodents gnawing through cables. Credit: Hampshire Fire and Rescue

A fire spokesman said: "They found the origin of the fire was most likely to have been electrical cabling in the roof, which had seen its PVC insulation chewed off by rodents."

Nobody was hurt in the incident.