- Tesco reported its worst sales figures for 40 years last week.
- The British Retail Consortium reported food sales in the UK are declining for the first time in six years by 0.2%.
- A recent survey from The Institute of Grocery Distribution estimates that between 2012 and 2017 sales at superstores will grow by just 6%, approximately £3.3bn.
- Over the same period, takings at convenience formats are expected to rise by more than 28%.
- Discount retailers will see a growth of 65% and online is expected to rise by a whopping 97.7%.
More top news
A hearing found Kirsten Treasure guilty of 'shocking' catalogue of misconduct, including refusing to respond to a manslaughter crime scene.
Showers continue across some southern and western areas tonight.
Two people are being treated in hospital after an "explosion" in a flat in West Dunbartonshire.