- Tesco reported its worst sales figures for 40 years last week.
- The British Retail Consortium reported food sales in the UK are declining for the first time in six years by 0.2%.
- A recent survey from The Institute of Grocery Distribution estimates that between 2012 and 2017 sales at superstores will grow by just 6%, approximately £3.3bn.
- Over the same period, takings at convenience formats are expected to rise by more than 28%.
- Discount retailers will see a growth of 65% and online is expected to rise by a whopping 97.7%.
More top news
The government has made its third U-turn in a matter of days as the prime minister struggles to push policy through on a slim majority.
A sweet shop owner in Pakistan has admitted killing 30 people, including children, by lacing confectionery with pesticides.
Kirsty Williams successfully defended her Brecon seat, but her party lost four others in a disastrous night.