- Tesco reported its worst sales figures for 40 years last week.
- The British Retail Consortium reported food sales in the UK are declining for the first time in six years by 0.2%.
- A recent survey from The Institute of Grocery Distribution estimates that between 2012 and 2017 sales at superstores will grow by just 6%, approximately £3.3bn.
- Over the same period, takings at convenience formats are expected to rise by more than 28%.
- Discount retailers will see a growth of 65% and online is expected to rise by a whopping 97.7%.
More top news
Rape suspects will need to prove to police that a woman consented to sex under fresh new guidance in sex offence cases.
Dippy the Diplodocus is to forced into retirement and moved out of the Natural History Museum's main hall.
Alice Biggar has managed to survive on cheap tins, heavily-reduced supermarket goods and even chicken bones from butchers.