Actor Sam Kelly starred in a number of iconic British sitcoms in a career that spanned five decades.
- Born in Manchester on December 19, 1943
- Trained at London Academy of Dramatic Arts in the early 1960s
- First big break in Porridge, playing Bunny Warren
- Later appeared in hit sitcom 'Allo 'Allo, set in occupied France
- Also appeared in several films, Common People, Honest and Nanny McPhee
- Later TV work includes appearances in sitcoms Black Books and Outnumbered.
- Recently starred iin West End musical Wicked, playing the Wizard of Oz, a role he had to withdraw from due to illness.
More top news
A new medication derived from cannabis could help reduce seizures in children with severe epilepsy - and is now being trialled in the UK.
Some hand-written notes in an ancient manuscript turned out to be the oldest piece of music for more than one voice ever discovered.
Wet weather is expected across most of the UK later as rain sweeps in from the west overnight.