US officials have told the UN Security Council that a suspected ringleader of the deadly 2012 attack on its diplomatic compound in Benghazi had been planning to target more Americans.
In a letter obtained by reporters, the US Ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power, notified the council of the capture on Sunday of Ahmed Abu Khatallah by US special forces in Libya.
It came after an investigation identified him as a key figure in the 2012 attack that killed four Americans.
"The investigation also determined that he continued to plan further armed attacks against U.S. persons," Power wrote in the letter,
"The measures we have taken to capture Abu Khatallah in Libya were therefore necessary to prevent such armed attacks, and were taken in accordance with the United States' inherent right of self-defense," she wrote.
More top news
The 88-year-old had faced trial in a litany of cases ranging from corruption to the killing of protesters.
A man who met PC Keith Palmer said his murder "sent a shiver down my spine".
Brothers Jayden and Carlos Cortez, aged 1 and 2, have been found safe after their babysitter's car was stolen in California.