The seven measures called for are:
- Reduce added sugars by 40% by 2020 by reformulating food
- Cease all forms of targeted marketing of ultra-processed, unhealthy foods and drinks to children
- Disassociate physical activity with obesity via banning junk food sports sponsorships
- Limit the availability of ultra-processed foods and sweetened soft drinks as well as reducing portion size
- Incentivise healthier food and discourage drinking of soft drinks by introducing a sugar tax
- Remove responsibility for nutrition from the Department of Health and return it back to an independent agency
- Reduce fat in ultra-processed foods, particularly saturated fat - 15% reduction by 2020
More top news
Police are appealing for help in tracing a family of six who are feared to be travelling to Syria.
A "truly despicable" thief stole from a woman while she suffered a violent epileptic seizure.
A senior health official has called for vitamin supplements for children amid warnings over a rickets 'epidemic'.