The group that ran an adventure holiday to Italy in which a boy scout died during a "canyoning" activity said it was "unclear" why the teenager lost consciousness as he entered the water at the Lillaz waterfalls.
Outdoor education provider Acorn Adventure said the boy, 14, was wearing a helmet and a buoyancy aid.
They were jumping into the water, where instructors were waiting for them. All participants were wearing buoyancy aids, wet suits and helmets as is standard on this activity, carried out by hundreds of participants every year for the past 18 years.
As yet it is unclear why this participant lost consciousness as he entered the water. Despite very swiftly being given CPR by trained first aiders and nurses who attended the scene, very sadly paramedics were unable to resuscitate him.
More top news
Rain in places tonight. Turning windy overnight.
Jon Platt's conviction brings to an end a legal battle over unauthorised term-time absences that went all the way to the Supreme Court.
Five people, including three children, have been electrocuted in a pool at a water park in Turkey, it has been reported.