- March 2013 - The UK's biggest payday lenders are threatened with being put out of business after a damning report uncovers evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending", by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT).
- June - The OFT refers payday lenders to the Competition Commission for a full-scale probe, saying it has found "deep-rooted" problems.
- July - The Archbishop of Canterbury told Wonga the Church of England wants to "compete" it out of existence as part of its plans to expand credit unions.
- November - More than one million people plan to take out a payday loan to cover the cost of Christmas 2013, research by the Money Advice Service (MAS) finds.
- June 2014 - The CMA says payday loan borrowers are paying around £60 a year over the odds because of problems shopping around.
More top news
Tonight will start off clear in many areas, but cloud will increase from the east overnight, bringing some light and patchy rain.
A rally planned by the families of the 304 people who died on the ferry disaster last year were sprayed with water cannon and pepper spray.
Four QPR hooligans caught on CCTV reeking havoc and attacking rival fans have been jailed.