- March 2013 - The UK's biggest payday lenders are threatened with being put out of business after a damning report uncovers evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending", by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT).
- June - The OFT refers payday lenders to the Competition Commission for a full-scale probe, saying it has found "deep-rooted" problems.
- July - The Archbishop of Canterbury told Wonga the Church of England wants to "compete" it out of existence as part of its plans to expand credit unions.
- November - More than one million people plan to take out a payday loan to cover the cost of Christmas 2013, research by the Money Advice Service (MAS) finds.
- June 2014 - The CMA says payday loan borrowers are paying around £60 a year over the odds because of problems shopping around.
More top news
A construction worker was crushed when a platform collapsed on them while the set was being dismantled.
Nasa's Juno spacecraft will get closer to the giant planet than any other spacecraft before.
Theresa May may be able to trigger withdrawal from the European Union without parliamentary approval.