- March 2013 - The UK's biggest payday lenders are threatened with being put out of business after a damning report uncovers evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending", by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT).
- June - The OFT refers payday lenders to the Competition Commission for a full-scale probe, saying it has found "deep-rooted" problems.
- July - The Archbishop of Canterbury told Wonga the Church of England wants to "compete" it out of existence as part of its plans to expand credit unions.
- November - More than one million people plan to take out a payday loan to cover the cost of Christmas 2013, research by the Money Advice Service (MAS) finds.
- June 2014 - The CMA says payday loan borrowers are paying around £60 a year over the odds because of problems shopping around.
More top news
The world famous musical, which has been running on Broadway since 1997, has broken records earning more than £2.8 billion.
There will be wet weather around tonight with rain drifting from north to south which will lead to scattered showers tomorrow morning.
Protesters force cancellation of controversial 'human zoo' show which has been dubbed racist and offensive.