- March 2013 - The UK's biggest payday lenders are threatened with being put out of business after a damning report uncovers evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending", by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT).
- June - The OFT refers payday lenders to the Competition Commission for a full-scale probe, saying it has found "deep-rooted" problems.
- July - The Archbishop of Canterbury told Wonga the Church of England wants to "compete" it out of existence as part of its plans to expand credit unions.
- November - More than one million people plan to take out a payday loan to cover the cost of Christmas 2013, research by the Money Advice Service (MAS) finds.
- June 2014 - The CMA says payday loan borrowers are paying around £60 a year over the odds because of problems shopping around.
More top news
The Syrian city of Raqqa has been liberated from Islamic State militants, a senior commander for a US-backed force has said.
Paranoid schizophrenic Jeffrey Barry stabbed Kamil Ahmad before removing his penis in the attack at his flat in Bristol last year.
The latest addition to the royal family will be a younger brother or sister for Prince George and Princess Charlotte.