- March 2013 - The UK's biggest payday lenders are threatened with being put out of business after a damning report uncovers evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending", by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT).
- June - The OFT refers payday lenders to the Competition Commission for a full-scale probe, saying it has found "deep-rooted" problems.
- July - The Archbishop of Canterbury told Wonga the Church of England wants to "compete" it out of existence as part of its plans to expand credit unions.
- November - More than one million people plan to take out a payday loan to cover the cost of Christmas 2013, research by the Money Advice Service (MAS) finds.
- June 2014 - The CMA says payday loan borrowers are paying around £60 a year over the odds because of problems shopping around.
More top news
Penny Wilson says her mother Sylvia Giffin was bullied after voicing her concerns.
The call came on the 70th anniversary of the arrival of the Empire Windrush.
Rentokil said callouts to moth infestations were up by 60% over the last four years as consumers reported they were buying better-quality cl