Too much alcohol is the number one reason why employees call in sick, with one third claiming to be ill when really they are hungover, an international accountancy firm found.
According to PwC, people also called in sick because:
- Some 26% were bunking work to go a job interview.
- Another 8% were really watching a sport event - this rose to 13% for men.
- A further 11% took time off work to enjoy good weather.
- Some employees use very creative lies, including: I was attacked by ants.
- One male employee who told his boss he had started the menopause.
More top news
Jeremy Corbyn has denied allegations of bullying saying "intimidation is not allowed" in the Labour party.
A gunman who killed nine people and at a Munich shopping centre was German-born and had no links with Islamic State, authorities say.
Torrential rain and flooding has killed 24 people in China and forced tens of thousands from their homes, according to state media.