Too much alcohol is the number one reason why employees call in sick, with one third claiming to be ill when really they are hungover, an international accountancy firm found.
According to PwC, people also called in sick because:
- Some 26% were bunking work to go a job interview.
- Another 8% were really watching a sport event - this rose to 13% for men.
- A further 11% took time off work to enjoy good weather.
- Some employees use very creative lies, including: I was attacked by ants.
- One male employee who told his boss he had started the menopause.
More top news
Police have launched a criminal investigation after two children died in a house fire in Birmingham.
The NI High Court rejected a legal challenge to the EU referendum result that proposed granting MPs a vote on Article 50.
The so-called Islamic State says that it has abducted nearly 8,000 families and taken them into Mosul to use as human shields.