Too much alcohol is the number one reason why employees call in sick, with one third claiming to be ill when really they are hungover, an international accountancy firm found.
According to PwC, people also called in sick because:
- Some 26% were bunking work to go a job interview.
- Another 8% were really watching a sport event - this rose to 13% for men.
- A further 11% took time off work to enjoy good weather.
- Some employees use very creative lies, including: I was attacked by ants.
- One male employee who told his boss he had started the menopause.
More top news
Still got an old style paper £5 note? Well, you only have until Friday to spend it in shops before it ceases to become legal tender.
Liang Sheng-yueh's girlfriend, who was found by his side, died three days before they were discovered.
The Tonight programme investigates how Brits living throughout the EU are facing up to an uncertain future.