Too much alcohol is the number one reason why employees call in sick, with one third claiming to be ill when really they are hungover, an international accountancy firm found.
According to PwC, people also called in sick because:
- Some 26% were bunking work to go a job interview.
- Another 8% were really watching a sport event - this rose to 13% for men.
- A further 11% took time off work to enjoy good weather.
- Some employees use very creative lies, including: I was attacked by ants.
- One male employee who told his boss he had started the menopause.
More top news
Another freezing, frosty and icy night ahead but this will be followed by a dry and sunny day for most tomorrow.
Phone hacking was "rife" at the Daily and Sunday Mirror newspapers and the People by mid-1999 at the latest, the High Court has heard.
Free banking may be a myth but it is one we are attached to - Barclays said they would like to charge for current accounts but could not.