Too much alcohol is the number one reason why employees call in sick, with one third claiming to be ill when really they are hungover, an international accountancy firm found.
According to PwC, people also called in sick because:
- Some 26% were bunking work to go a job interview.
- Another 8% were really watching a sport event - this rose to 13% for men.
- A further 11% took time off work to enjoy good weather.
- Some employees use very creative lies, including: I was attacked by ants.
- One male employee who told his boss he had started the menopause.
More top news
Business Secretary Greg Clark said talks with Peugeot's boss over a potential Vauxhall takeover were both "constructive and reassuring".
Leicester City interim manager Craig Shakespeare has said the club will have "utmost respect" for former manager Claudio Ranieri.
The Canadian pop singer was photographed with a noticeable and unfortunately-located wet patch but later saw the funny side of the image.