A dozen staff members working on the Commonwealth Games Village in Glasgow have been sent home after apparently being struck down with Norovirus.
All 12 were reported to be suffering from mild gastrointestinal symptoms thought to be the vomiting bug a week before the Games get underway.
The workers have been told to remain at home until they have been cleared of symptoms for 48 hours.
The Public Health Protection Unit of NHSGGC has been notified of the cases and all appropriate infection control measures were put in place immediately.
Dr Gillian Penrice, Consultant in Public Health Medicine for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, said: “Norovirus is the most common stomach bug in the UK and it is common to see the virus in the community. It's usually mild and generally lasts for 24 hours.
“The symptoms being experienced by these individuals are mild and none of the 12 are giving any cause for concern as a result of the virus. We are continuing to monitor the situation closely.”
A Glasgow 2014 spokesperson said:“There have been 12 reports from workforce of D&V (diarrhoea and vomiting) which we are investigating.
"Village residents and workforce have been informed and issued with health information. There have been no reports from athletes or team officials and the Village is open and operating as normal.”