- May 26: Rebels in eastern Ukraine shoot down a government military helicopter during heavy fighting around Slovyansk, killing 12 soldiers. Acting Ukrainian president tells parliament that rebels used a portable air defence missile to bring down the helicopter.
- June 24: Ukrainian government says a military helicopter has been shot down over a rebel-controlled area in Slovyansk.
- July 14: A Ukrainian military transport plane is shot down along the eastern border with Russia, but all 8 on board managed to escape safely. Separatists claim responsibility, but Ukrainian officials blame Russia.
- July 16: A Ukrainian air force fighter jet is shot down by a missile fired from a Russian plane, according to Ukraine's Security Council whilst pro-Russian rebels claims responsibility for strikes on two jets.
- July 17: 298 people are killed after a Malaysian Airlines plane crashes, after apparently being shot down over eastern Ukraine.
Thousands of online users have taken to social media to call for the victims of the Malaysian airliner crash to be returned to loved ones.
United States intelligence officials admitted that they do not know who fired the surface-to-air missile that downed flight MH17.
Warning this article contains images that some may find distressing