The Government will unveil plans to give teachers, doctors and social workers extra training to identify and help girls who might be at risk of becoming victims of FGM.
Further measures to be unveiled today include:
- New police guidance from the College of Policing and an inspection programme by HM Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) that will look at how police handle FGM cases.
- A consultation on proposed civil orders to protect girls at risk of FGM.
- New legislation to grant victims of FGM lifelong anonymity from the time they make an allegation.
- A specialist "FGM service" that will include social workers to "proactively" identify instances of FGM.
- New programmes to prevent child and forced marriage in 12 developing nations.
- An "International Charter" calling for the eradication of these practices within a generation.