Ukraine government suspends MH17 crash site truce

The Ukrainian government has suspended a ceasefire in the area surrounding the MH17 crash site after the recovery mission was halted yesterday, Reuters reported.

The Netherlands halted the operation because of fighting in eastern Ukraine, the Dutch prime minister announced yesterday.

Mark Rutte told journalists in The Hague the risk posed to the team of 70 Australian, Dutch and Malaysian experts was too great to continue working in the area.

View all 115 updates ›

MH17: First victim is formally identified

Forensic experts have formally identified the first of 298 MH17 victims, AFP reported.

A woman whose daughter who is thought to have died on flight MH17 weeps at the site of the disaster. Credit: Reuters

A statement from the Dutch Government said: “The first victim of the flight MH17 disaster was identified.

"It's a Dutch citizen and the victim's family and mayor of where they lived have been informed.”

A team of 200 specialists are involved in the identification process but it could take months for it to be completed.

The Dutch are in charge of identifying all the victims from the July 17 disaster over rebel-held Ukraine, 194 of whom were Dutch nationals.

So far 227 coffins with the remains of people from 17 countries have been flown back.

More on this story