The chance of finding the remains of all 298 victims of the MH17 crash is growing slimmer as fighting in the area prevents international investigators from accessing the disaster site, officials said.
A joint Australian-Dutch probe team will renew efforts on Monday to gain access to the crash site of the Malaysian airliner in eastern Ukraine. The plans to visit the site yesterday had been dropped because of nearby fighting.
"The fighting intensified overnight," said Australian Deputy Commissioner of National Security Andrew Colvin.
"There remains a possibility that we may not get there in the near future," he said. "I don't want to consider the fact that we may never get to that site."
The mother of the three Australian children killed on flight MH17 told a memorial service her "arms would always be reaching for them."
A woman has apparently posted pictures of herself on social media with mascara looted from the Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crash site.
A large section of plane wreckage and everyday carry-on items like chocolates remain scattered among the wild flowers at the crash site.