Ukraine government suspends MH17 crash site truce

The Ukrainian government has suspended a ceasefire in the area surrounding the MH17 crash site after the recovery mission was halted yesterday, Reuters reported.

The Netherlands halted the operation because of fighting in eastern Ukraine, the Dutch prime minister announced yesterday.

Mark Rutte told journalists in The Hague the risk posed to the team of 70 Australian, Dutch and Malaysian experts was too great to continue working in the area.

View all 115 updates ›

'At least 22 civilians killed by shelling in Ukraine'

At least 22 civilians have been killed by shelling in fighting in eastern Ukraine, local authorities said.

Five people were reportedly were killed in Luhansk when an old people's home was struck by artillery fire.

In Horlivka, the mayor's office reported 17 people, including three children, died as a result of shelling.

The fighting again prevented international investigators from visiting the site of the Malaysia Airlines jet which was shot down earlier this month.

The UN said that at least 1,129 people were killed in Ukraine between mid-April, when fighting began, and July 26.

More on this story