China earthquake death toll increases to 598

The death toll in southern China's earthquake has increased to 589, local authorities say.

About 12,000 homes collapsed when the quake struck on Sunday afternoon, around 230 miles north-east of Yunnan province's capital, Kunming.

View all 8 updates ›

Chinese earthquake death toll rises to 'at least 381'

The number of people killed in an earthquake in China has risen to "at least 381", according to the Associated Press.

A paramilitary policeman carries a baby in his arm after the quake which hit 6.3 on the richter scale. Credit: Reuters/China Daily

Around 12,000 homes collapsed in Ludian, a densely populated county located in China's Yunnan province, China's official Xinhua News Agency reported.

Resident Ma Liya told the agency the streets were like a "battlefield after a bombardment" and far worse than a quake which struck the area in 2012 killing 81 people.

Chinese news channel CCTV said 1,891 were injured, three were missing and 29,400 had been evacuated.

More top news