Key findings of a 92-page report into Glen Parva young offenders' institution include:
- A 32% increase in prisoners being assessed as at risk of self-harm and suicide in 2013
- Direct links between bullying and and levels of self-harm
- Assaults on prisoners had increased from 121 in 2012 to 157 in 2013
- Violence towards staff had risen from 35 to 43
- Use of force considered "too high" with 379 incidents in six months to the end of March
More top news
Father of drowned Syrian boy Alan Kurdi says he is comforted by impact of his son's death, as hia family is reportedly accepted by Canada.
A year ago the International Court of Justice ruled that Japan's decades-old whale hunt in the Antarctic should stop.
Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has backed a free vote for MPs on the issue.