Key findings of a 92-page report into Glen Parva young offenders' institution include:
- A 32% increase in prisoners being assessed as at risk of self-harm and suicide in 2013
- Direct links between bullying and and levels of self-harm
- Assaults on prisoners had increased from 121 in 2012 to 157 in 2013
- Violence towards staff had risen from 35 to 43
- Use of force considered "too high" with 379 incidents in six months to the end of March
More top news
More than 1.85 million people have called for the US president's visit to be watered down to avoid causing "embarrassment" to the Queen.
Jim Mattis arrived in Baghdad on the day after US-backed Iraqi forces launched an operation to reclaim Mosul from IS.
The scale of the blood poisoning disease sepsis is "far worse" than previously thought thanks to a "crippling" lack of data, a study says.