Advertisement

Man accidentally sets house on fire trying to kill spider

A man accidentally set a house on fire - while trying to kill a spider.

The man tried to get rid of the spider by setting it on fire. Credit: PA/file photo

Firefighters were called to an address in Bridgend, South Wales, and saw smoke billowing from a rear window.

But they were gobsmacked to discover that the fire started when a man sprayed a spider with an aerosol before setting it alight.

A spokesman for Mid West and Wales Fire (MWF) Service said: "We attended at an incident at Kenfig Hill at 11.57am today.

"Crews extinguished a small fire at the rear of the property, which was caused when the occupant tried to remove a spider after initially spraying it with an aerosol and then setting it alight.The flames then spread to the rest of the room."

The fire service urged members of the public to avoid using aerosols inappropriately - and added that there were "more conventional ways" to get rid of spiders and insects.