Man seriously ill after being bitten by an adder

A 44-year-old man has been left seriously ill after he was bitten three times by an adder on his visit to a forest in North Yorkshire.

The man, from Doncaster, South Yorkshire, had to be airlifted to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough.

An adder like this one is believed to be the culprit. Credit: Natural England/PA Wire

The man is in a serious but stable condition, the Great North Air Ambulance Service said.

The adder is Britain's only venomous snake and about 100 bites are reported in the UK each year.