It is the South African state's case that Shrien Dewani conspired with Cape Town residents Zola Tongo, Mziwamadoda Qwabe and Xolile Mngeni to kill his wife.
- Tongo, Qwabe, and Mngeni are already serving jail terms in connection with the murder.
- Dewani said he and his wife Anni were kidnapped at gunpoint as they drove through Gugulethu in Cape Town in a taxi in November 2010.
- He was released unharmed, but his wife's body was found in the abandoned car the next day. She had been shot dead.
- Following a protracted legal battle over the seriousness of his mental health problems, Dewani was extradited from the UK in April.
- He is charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping, robbery with aggravating circumstances, murder, kidnapping, and defeating the ends of justice.