Deaths linked to ‘legal highs’ could overtake those linked to heroin by 2016, according to a new report outlining Britain's addiction problem.
The report by the Centre for Social Justice found:
- 1.6 million English adults dependent on alcohol
- Almost 50,000 heroin addicts have been ‘parked’ on state-supplied methadone for more than four years
- UK’s youth ‘legal high’ use is the highest in Europe
- New powers to punish high street shops selling dangerous 'legal highs'
- Addicts who continually refuse treatment could have benefits reduced
More top news
So today is Towel Day. It's been trending on Twitter, has its own Facebook page and website, and even Tim Peake has got in on the action.
An Australian man who kidnapped, drugged and raped a German backpacker has been jailed for nine years.
A New York man has been charged with murder after he was allegedly spotted wheeling the body of his dead wife down a street in a trolley.