Deaths linked to ‘legal highs’ could overtake those linked to heroin by 2016, according to a new report outlining Britain's addiction problem.
The report by the Centre for Social Justice found:
- 1.6 million English adults dependent on alcohol
- Almost 50,000 heroin addicts have been ‘parked’ on state-supplied methadone for more than four years
- UK’s youth ‘legal high’ use is the highest in Europe
- New powers to punish high street shops selling dangerous 'legal highs'
- Addicts who continually refuse treatment could have benefits reduced
More top news
Michael Buble has been criticised as "disgusting" for posting a picture of a woman wearing tight shorts using the hashtag #beautifulbum.
Vinyl copies of a cover of Monty Python's 'Galaxy Song' recorded by Stephen Hawking go on sale later as part of Record Store Day.
The five-piece dance group do not sing but their choreographed back-flips had the crowd cheering at their audition in tonight's episode.