Deaths linked to ‘legal highs’ could overtake those linked to heroin by 2016, according to a new report outlining Britain's addiction problem.
The report by the Centre for Social Justice found:
- 1.6 million English adults dependent on alcohol
- Almost 50,000 heroin addicts have been ‘parked’ on state-supplied methadone for more than four years
- UK’s youth ‘legal high’ use is the highest in Europe
- New powers to punish high street shops selling dangerous 'legal highs'
- Addicts who continually refuse treatment could have benefits reduced
More top news
The flow of displaced people into western Europe is the greatest humanitarian crisis since the Second World War, Harriet Harman has said.
Reality TV star Ricky Rayment was arrested for ABH following a fight on Saturday night in Brighton.
A would-be robber was left begging for mercy after a woman he tried to mug turned out to be a martial arts expert.