Deaths linked to ‘legal highs’ could overtake those linked to heroin by 2016, according to a new report outlining Britain's addiction problem.
The report by the Centre for Social Justice found:
- 1.6 million English adults dependent on alcohol
- Almost 50,000 heroin addicts have been ‘parked’ on state-supplied methadone for more than four years
- UK’s youth ‘legal high’ use is the highest in Europe
- New powers to punish high street shops selling dangerous 'legal highs'
- Addicts who continually refuse treatment could have benefits reduced
More top news
The historic moment was watched by 500 people in the Church in Wales who cheered after the ceremony.
A cold night ahead, with frost and fog for some
Protesters across Europe and the rest of the globe held women's marches following the inauguration of President Trump.