Deaths linked to ‘legal highs’ could overtake those linked to heroin by 2016, according to a new report outlining Britain's addiction problem.
The report by the Centre for Social Justice found:
- 1.6 million English adults dependent on alcohol
- Almost 50,000 heroin addicts have been ‘parked’ on state-supplied methadone for more than four years
- UK’s youth ‘legal high’ use is the highest in Europe
- New powers to punish high street shops selling dangerous 'legal highs'
- Addicts who continually refuse treatment could have benefits reduced
More top news
MPs say there must be no way back for the former London mayor as he hints he could seek to rejoin the party.
President Donald Trump has requested that the Justice Department investigates whether the FBI infiltrated his campaign.
High pressure will help keep conditions relatively quiet through the course of this week.