Ashya King to start proton therapy treatment plan in Prague

Five-year-old Ashya King is set to start a proton therapy treatment plan in the Czech Republic to help him beat brain cancer.

In a statement, the centre said the five-year-old had been fitted with a special treatment mask as well as undergoing a series of tests.

Brett and Naghmeh King removed Ashya from Southampton General Hospital on August 28 against doctors' advice, following a disagreement over his treatment.

View all 157 updates ›

No 10: Ashya King's medical care the priority

A five-year-old boy with a brain tumour, taken from hospital without doctors' consent, must receive "the very best and most appropriate" medical care, the Prime Minister's spokesman said.

Ashya King was taken by his parents from Southampton General Hospital last Thursday to seek a new treatment that is not available on the NHS.

Asked whether David Cameron sympathised with the boy's parents , the spokesman said: "I think people up and down the country will understand and be moved by the grave illness from which Ashya is suffering.

"First and foremost, the priority must be that he receives the very best and most appropriate medical care.

"Of course, I am sure that every parent wants to do the best for their child. That is probably the most human of human instincts."

More on this story