The final report into the horsemeat scandal has made a number of recommendations to "improve the integrity and assurance of food supply networks".
- Put the consumers first by ensuring that their needs in relation to food safety and food crime prevention are the top priority
- Create a robust, effective Food Crime Unit to protect the food industry and consumers from criminal activity
- Zero tolerance approach to food fraud by improving intelligence gathering
- Introduce unannounced audit checks by the food industry
- Support the development of whistleblowing and reporting of food crime
- Improve lab testing capacity and capability to ensure a standardised approach for food testing
- Encourage the food industry to question the source of their supply chain
More top news
Regional troops have secured the presidential palace in the Gambia's capital but there are fears the former leader has raided state coffers.
The police officer was shot in the arm at a petrol station on the Crumlin Road, but is in a stable condition.
Temperatures tumbling again tonight with a widespread sharp frost and lows of -5C or -6C and icy spots in places