The final report into the horsemeat scandal has made a number of recommendations to "improve the integrity and assurance of food supply networks".
- Put the consumers first by ensuring that their needs in relation to food safety and food crime prevention are the top priority
- Create a robust, effective Food Crime Unit to protect the food industry and consumers from criminal activity
- Zero tolerance approach to food fraud by improving intelligence gathering
- Introduce unannounced audit checks by the food industry
- Support the development of whistleblowing and reporting of food crime
- Improve lab testing capacity and capability to ensure a standardised approach for food testing
- Encourage the food industry to question the source of their supply chain
More top news
Researchers believe they have found the wreckage of British explorer James Cook's ship "Endeavour".
Four kittens have been rescued from a fire by emergency services in California, USA.
A mother died after trying to save her three-year-old son when he fell down a cliff during a family hike.