The final report into the horsemeat scandal has made a number of recommendations to "improve the integrity and assurance of food supply networks".
- Put the consumers first by ensuring that their needs in relation to food safety and food crime prevention are the top priority
- Create a robust, effective Food Crime Unit to protect the food industry and consumers from criminal activity
- Zero tolerance approach to food fraud by improving intelligence gathering
- Introduce unannounced audit checks by the food industry
- Support the development of whistleblowing and reporting of food crime
- Improve lab testing capacity and capability to ensure a standardised approach for food testing
- Encourage the food industry to question the source of their supply chain
More top news
A Para who won the Victoria Cross gave up his military history studies just weeks into the course as he wanted to be a part of it instead.
Approaching Atlantic frontal systems will give a wet and windy night right across the UK.
Star Trek's Captain Kirk said he will not be able to say a final goodbye to Mr Spock because of a charity commitment in Florida.