Advertisement

  1. National

Fridge-freezer fire to blame for father's death, inquest rules

A coroner will urge the Government to overhaul consumer safety standards after a father who was able to save his two children died from a fire caused by a faulty fridge-freezer.

The man who died, Santosh Benjamin Muthiah, owned a type of appliance that had caused fires as far back as 2003.

An inquest found that the Beko fridge-freezer caught fire while the family slept.

View all 8 updates ›

Beko: We acted appropriately over faulty appliances

Appliance manufacturer Beko says its staff acted appropriately at all times after an inquest ruled one of its faulty fridge-freezers had caused a fire that killed a father of two.

Hundreds of thousands of Beko appliances were thought to be affected by the fault. Credit: PA

In a statement following the ruling, Beko said it had extended condolences to the family of Santosh Benjamin Muthiah and insisted it has sent out thousands of letters, made house calls and placed adverts to try to trace products containing the same faults.

This incident involved a model of frost-free fridge-freezer that has not been in production since 2006. None of our current range of appliances are affected by the issues in this case.

– RAGIP BALCIOGLU, BEKO UK MANAGING DIRECTOR

The company said it is "still working to located any affected older appliances that may be in use".

Anyone with concerns about a Beko fridge freezer can call the company on 0800 917 2018 or see the advice on this Beko website.

More top news