Advertisement

  1. National

Fridge-freezer fire to blame for father's death, inquest rules

A coroner will urge the Government to overhaul consumer safety standards after a father who was able to save his two children died from a fire caused by a faulty fridge-freezer.

The man who died, Santosh Benjamin Muthiah, owned a type of appliance that had caused fires as far back as 2003.

An inquest found that the Beko fridge-freezer caught fire while the family slept.

View all 8 updates ›

Fridge-freezer caused fatal fire while family slept

A coroner will urge the Government to overhaul consumer safety standards after a father who was able to save his two children died from a fire caused by a faulty fridge-freezer.

Santosh Benjamin Muthiah died in 2010.

The man who died, Santosh Benjamin Muthiah, owned a type of appliance that had caused fires as far back as 2003.

An inquest found that the Beko fridge-freezer caught fire while the family slept.

Mr Benjamin helped his young children escape but later died from the fumes.

Coroner Andrew Walker today accepted wide-ranging recommendations put forward by Hertfordshire Trading Standards and London Fire Brigade about the way in which safety problems are recorded and how irresponsible manufacturers should be punished.

Lawyers representing Mr Muthiah's family said the changes "would stop manufacturers keeping safety issues secret" and force them to take action.

More top news