Advertisement

  1. National

Fridge-freezer fire to blame for father's death, inquest rules

A coroner will urge the Government to overhaul consumer safety standards after a father who was able to save his two children died from a fire caused by a faulty fridge-freezer.

The man who died, Santosh Benjamin Muthiah, owned a type of appliance that had caused fires as far back as 2003.

An inquest found that the Beko fridge-freezer caught fire while the family slept.

View all 8 updates ›

Household appliances 'should be redesigned' after fire

A coroner has called for a redesign of household appliances to reduce the risk of fires after an inquest found a Beko fridge-freezer was the likely cause of a deadly blaze in a London home.

Consumer Editor Chris Choi reports from the inquest:

More top news