Air pollution in the UK could be killing as many people as smoking does - MPs on the Environmental Audit Committee said.
Calling for the government to act to protect young and vulnerable people from the impact of air pollution by ensuring schools and hospitals are not build near main roads or motorways, MPs said public health must be prioritised over economic growth and had a number of recommendations.
- Air quality obligations should be included in new road building plans
- Legal loopholes that allow mechanics to remove engine filters from HGVs should be closed
- New measures to encourage drivers to move away from diesel should be examined
- A diesel scrappage scheme to help drivers switch to cleaner vehicles should be considered
- An independent inquiry should be established to look at what else is needed
- EU legislation on emission standards needs back up by testing
More top news
An estimated 70,000 claimants transferred to Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) from other benefits since 2011 were underpaid.
Plastics is one of a number of environmental issues facing the world's seas, along with rising sea levels and warming oceans.
Winter seeps into spring