Air pollution in the UK could be killing as many people as smoking does - MPs on the Environmental Audit Committee said.
Calling for the government to act to protect young and vulnerable people from the impact of air pollution by ensuring schools and hospitals are not build near main roads or motorways, MPs said public health must be prioritised over economic growth and had a number of recommendations.
- Air quality obligations should be included in new road building plans
- Legal loopholes that allow mechanics to remove engine filters from HGVs should be closed
- New measures to encourage drivers to move away from diesel should be examined
- A diesel scrappage scheme to help drivers switch to cleaner vehicles should be considered
- An independent inquiry should be established to look at what else is needed
- EU legislation on emission standards needs back up by testing
More top news
A split scenario this Sunday
The railway administration said the 17 people died of cardiac arrest.
The royal couple were pictured laughing and smiling as they watched host country Australia win the sailing final.