1. National

Munich gunman 'planned shooting attack for up to a year'

A gunman who killed nine people during a shooting in Munich, Germany, had planned the attack for a year, the Bavaria state crime office has said.

  • David Sonboly, 18, had spent two months as a psychiatric inpatient in 2015 and then received ongoing outpatient care
  • German authorities said he purchased a Glock 17 handgun used in the attack on the so-called "dark web"
  • Police have said there are "no indications" the attack was terror-related and the teenager was "obsessed" with mass shootings
  • Seven of the nine killed were teenagers, 27 others were injured - 10 of whom are in a critical condition, including a 13-year-old boy
  • Suspect was not known to police and had no criminal record, Munich's police chief said
  • His parents have been unable to be interviewed as they are currently in a state of shock, officials said.
  • Munich is in a state of emergency as a result of the attack
View all 71 updates ›

Munich gunman 'was 18-year-old German-Iranian'

A dead man found near the Olympia shopping centre in Munich was the suspected gunman, police have confirmed.

In a press conference in the early hours of Saturday morning, Munich's police chief said the man had been identified as an 18-year-old German-Iranian who used a pistol to open fire at a nearby McDonald's.

Armed officers patrol the streets of Munich after the shooting Credit: APTN

The motive for the attack, in which nine others were killed and several were injured, is not yet clear.

The man then took his own life and was found in a side street near the centre. He was not previously known to police, the police chief added. He had both German and Iranian citizenship and had lived in Munich for more than two years.

Three people spotted fleeing the scene of the attack, who police initially believed had been responsible for the shooting, have been identified and were not involved.

More on this story