1. National

Westminster terror attack: Fourth victim dies in hospital

Police have confirmed a 75-year-old man has died in hospital after his life support machine was switched off on Thursday evening.

Earlier, the man believed to be responsible for the attack was named as 52-year-old Khalid Masood.

Police said Masood was not the subject of any current investigations and there was "no prior intelligence about his intent to mount a terrorist attack."

  • Masood, who was born in Kent, was known to police and had a range of previous convictions for assaults, including GBH
  • He was also known by a number of aliases, the Metropolitan Police said.
  • Armed with two large knives, Masood mowed down pedestrians with his car on Westminster Bridge on Wednesday afternoon
  • He was shot dead moments later by another officer
  • The first three victims have been named as Pc Keith Palmer, Aysha Frade and US tourist Kurt Cochran
  • 29 people remain in hospital and have been visited by the prime minister
  • Earlier, Mrs May told the Commons: "Our resolve will never waver in the face of terrorism."
  • Eight people have been arrested and raids have taken place in London, Birmingham and elsewhere
View all 145 updates ›

Parents of boy injured in attack believed he was dead

Emergency services on Westminster Bridge after the attack. Credit: PA

The mother of a French schoolboy injured in the Westminster terror attack has told how she and her husband believed their son had died.

The teenager, known only as Thomas, was one of three pupils hurt as they walked along Westminster Bridge during a school trip to London.

Thomas suffered a head injury and fractures to his legs, his mother - who has not been named - told French media.

The students, aged between 15 and 16, were pupils from Lycee Saint-Joseph de Concarneau, Brittany.

The teenager's mother said: "It was the school who told us yesterday afternoon that the attack had taken place and our son was one of the victims.

"At that time, we had no idea about his health. My husband and I thought he had died. After an hour, we were told he was injured. It felt extremely long."

Thomas' parents were rushed to London on Wednesday evening to see their son, who she said was "relieved and happy to see us".

She said the pupil had little memory of what happened and they had to explain to him "the attack, the runaway car on the bridge".

More on this story