Advertisement

West Ham boss Moyes questions Lanzini diving charge

David Moyes is yet to decide on whether to submit an appeal fro Lanzini's diving charge. Credit: PA

West Ham manager David Moyes is surprised by the Football Association's decision to charge Manuel Lanzini for diving.

But Moyes admits West Ham are yet to decide if they will appeal against the Argentinian's two-match ban before Tuesday's deadline of 6pm.

Lanzini won a penalty against Stoke on Saturday after he was challenged by Erik Pieters, with Hammers captain Mark Noble converting from the spot to give his side a 1-0 lead.

The decision infuriated Stoke manager Mark Hughes, who is now under even more pressure following their 3-0 home defeat.

Lanzini is the second Premier League player to be charged for the "successful deception of a match official" - in this case referee Graham Scott - after Everton striker Oumar Niasse was the first to be penalised last month.

"I am a bit surprised because of the incident in the game," Moyes said. "The referee was 10 yards from the ball with nothing blocking his vision.

"It is clear to see the defender makes an attempt to go for the ball and doesn't get it. From my point of view, they are going against the referee, whoever the panel were."

Lanzini is now set to be suspended for West Ham's Carabao Cup quarter-final against Arsenal on Tuesday, as well their crunch basement battle with Newcastle in the Premier League on Saturday.

On whether West Ham will appeal, Moyes said: "We are going to have a talk about it this afternoon and decide what we are going to do. We will look at it."