Andy Murray underwent surgery on his right hip on Monday morning and is hoping to return to competitive tennis for the 2018 grass-court season.
The 30-year-old former world number one, who has not competitively played since Wimbledon last summer and last week withdrew from this month's Australian Open, announced via his official Facebook page that he had gone under the knife in Melbourne, and vowed to return to the top.
The now world number 19 said the two options available to fix his troublesome hip were to continue with rehab or have surgery, for which he admitted the chances of success were not as high as he would have liked.
But, after undergoing the operation in Australia, Murray's outlook was more optimistic.
"I'm very optimistic because, having spoken to the surgeon after he did the surgery, he was very happy about how it went," Murray said, quoted by several national newspapers.
"He felt that my hip will be feeling better than it did a year ago and, obviously, I was still doing fine a year ago, I was ranked number one in the world.
"Moving forward I'll certainly be playing a reduced schedule, and then focusing more on trying to win major events and big tournaments rather than trying to achieve certain ranking goals."