Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

'Candle and Christmas decorations' started Belfast fire

A candle set too close to Christmas decorations at a house in west Belfast started a house fire that caused considerable smoke damage, according to the NIFRS.

The Fire Service responded to a call on Tuesday evening at a house on Nansen Street.

There were no injuries in the fire.

Geoff Somerville, NIFRS Group Commander, attended the incident and said the blaze had very quickly started.

Extensive smoke damage was caused to the living room. Credit: NIFRS

Geoff Somerville, NIFRS Group Commander, attended the incident and said the blaze had very quickly started.

“The householder had only left the property for a very short time and when she returned discovered a fire in the ground floor of her house,” he said.

“A Christmas decoration had fallen onto a small candle which had been left burning on the hearth.

“Firefighters were quickly at the scene, two Fire Appliances from Springfield Fire Station attended and the fire was quickly extinguished.

There were no injuries in the blaze. Credit: NIFRS

“The house has been badly smoke damaged as a result of the incident. The Fire Emergency Support Service was also in attendance to offer assistance to the householder.

“We are very grateful to the householder for her co-operation in highlighting the dangers of unattended candles in the home.

“Christmas is traditionally a busy time for NIFRS as incidences of fire in the home increase due to extra fire hazards such as candles, fairy tree lights, portable heaters, overloaded sockets and people using fires that have not been lit for some time.

“I’m asking people to give priority to fire safety and not to become complacent about it over Christmas. Check that you have working smoke alarms fitted in your house.”