1. ITV Report

Crusaders crush Warrenpoint to go top of table

Danske Bank Irish Premier league match between Crusaders and Warrenpoint Town at Seaview Belfast. Crusaders Philip Lowry in action with Warrenpoints Jordan Lyttle. Credit: Stephen Hamilton / Press Eye

Crusaders sit top of the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference after the second round of games with Stephen Baxter's side in menacing form crushing Warrenpoint Town 5-0 at Seaview on Tuesday night.

The match was over as a contest by the interval with the Crues coasting with a 4-0 lead. Jordan Owens opened the scoring after ghosting in at the far post to direct home a superb cross from the right flank by Billy Joe Burns.

Not long after Paul Heatley was left unmarked and he directed a firm header past keeper Alan Blayney and before Town could recover Jordan Forsythe drilled in number three.

It was 4-0 from the penalty spot with Gavin Whyte sending Blayney the wrong way and that completed a nightmare first half for the visitors.

Champions Linfield eased their way to a fine 2-0 win in their away fixture against Ards. Both goals came in the first half.

The breakthrough came on 19 minutes with central defender Mark Haughey controlling a free kick from Kirk Millar before firing past the keeper for 1-0.

Provider Millar then became finisher on 28 minutes when he doubled Linfield's lead with a neat finish from Paul Smyth's cross.The Blues had dominated the first half, but they had a let-off after the restart when Scott Davison came so close to pulling a goal back for Ards as his effort came back off the post.

After that scare David Healy's side ran out comfortable winners to make it six points from two games.

Goals from Josh Carson and Jamie McGonigle gave Coleraine a superb 2-0 win over Cliftonville at the Showgrounds.The first 45 minutes finished scoreless with the home side failing to grab the lead after creating a couple of decent chances.

However, five minutes into the second half they did forge ahead with Josh Carson applying the finish to a neatly worked move.

Cliftonville found themselves deeper in trouble on 63 minutes when Jamie McGonigle made it 2-0 for the impressive Bannsiders.

The Reds were out of luck with Jamie Harney having two headers cleared off the line and then near the end Joe Gormley saw his effort tipped onto the post by keeper Chris Johns.

Coleraine's Brad Lyons had a chance to add to Cliftonville's misery but his lob into an empty net just clipped the top of the bar.In the end the clinical finishing of Coleraine the difference between the sides.

Glenavon are in second spot after smashing six past Ballinamallard United with Gary Hamilton's side coming out on top 6-2 at the end of an entertaining affair at Mourneview Park. Adam Foley took home the match ball with a second half hat-trick as the Lurgan Blues bounced back after going behind.

The Mallards took the lead on 28 minutes from the penalty spot, Ryan Curran converting after he won the award following a challenge in the box by James Singleton.The lead did not last long as Rhys Marshall began the Glenavon revival with a neat finish to make it 1-1.

A three goal blast in six minutes saw the home side take control in the second half. Foley bagged two before Andrew Mitchell made it 4-1 on 55 minutes. Foley completed his hat-trick in style with a sublime scissor kick after Bobby Burns was denied by the woodwork. Curran pulled a goal back for United, but it was Glenavon with the final say as Mitchell nodded in near the end to complete the rout.

Glentoran finally got on top to see off Dungannon Swifts 2-0 at The Oval.The home fans had to wait until the second half before celebrating a goal as John McGuigan gave his side the edge. A crucial second goal was to give the Glens a vital two goal cushion with Curtis Allen taking his tally to three for the season when he made it 2-0 and that was enough to seal three points for boss Gary Haveron.

Carrick Rangers and Ballymena United picked up their first points of the season with their clash at Taylor's Avenue ending all square at 1-1.

However, it will be Rangers who will be kicking themselves at missing a chance to snatch a win after they missing a second half penalty. Ballymena took the lead on 53 minutes, a free kick by Tony Kane was deflected into his own net by the unfortunate defender Denver Gage.

That was cancelled out by Carrick's Andrew Mooney who broke clear and kept his nerve to beat Ross Glendenning and make it 1-1 on 60 minutes. Ben Roy had a great chance to put the home side ahead on 67 minutes from the penalty spot, but his effort flew wide of the post.