A 13-year-old boy has appeared in court charged with the murder of schoolgirl Anastasia Kriegel in the Republic of Ireland.
The teenage victim was found dead in a derelict farmhouse outside the village of Lucan on 16 May.
The boy accused of her murder cannot be identified because of his age, but he appeared before Dublin District Children’s Court on Thursday morning.
He attended along with his solicitor and sat beside his mother during the 10-minute hearing.
Judge John O’Connor asked if this was his first time in court, to which the boy replied: “Yes”.
Detective Sergeant Damien Gannon told the court that the young boy had been taken to Lucan Garda Station where they charged him with murder, in the presence of his mother.
The judge referred to reporting restrictions and issued warnings about the general public identifying the accused on social media.
He said that nothing should be published online that could lead to the boy’s identification, including his school and address.
The accused was remanded into detention after the short court hearing and will appear in court again on 18 July.
The judge allowed the young boy and mother to spend some time together following a request by the defendant’s solicitor.
Another 13-year-old boy has already been charged with murder.
Anastasia was last seen alive in St Catherine’s Park on Monday 14 May, about one kilometre away from where her body was discovered three days later.