Live updates

Sainsbury's drops plans to open at Haverfordwest

Sainsbury's has dropped plans to open a new store at Haverfordwest.

Credit: PA

The planned store could have seen 500 jobs created. A spokesperson for supermarket told ITV Cymru Wales they were "disappointed" but shopping habits had changed and more customers were using online food shopping.

Pembrokeshire Council said the housing development plans for over 700 new homes at Slade Lane will continue as planned.

Family pay tribute to motorcyclist killed in collision

The family of a motorcyclist who died following a collision with a car at the Treforest Industrial Estate on Wednesday has paid tribute to him.

Robert Cross. Credit: South Wales Police / Family photo

Robert Cross, a 45 year-old motorcyclist from Llantwit Fadre, died at the scene of the collision which occurred at just gone 5pm on Main Avenue. The red Honda motorcycle he was riding was in collision with a black Volkswagen Golf.

Our families have lost an amazing son, partner, father, brother, grandfather and friend. Rob was full of life and devoted to all the people around him. He loved his bikes and had been riding for years. We now have a gaping hole in our lives which could never be filled

– Family of Robert Cross

Officers investigating the collision are continuing their appeal for anyone who saw the incident to contact them.

Advertisement

Reports of 'dangerous dog' on the loose at seaside

Bridgend County Council says it's received reports that a "potentially dangerous dog" may have been abandoned in the Rest Bay area at Porthcawl.

Credit: PA

The council says it's currently looking for the animal, which is believed to be a Rottweiler.

A local resident told the council he saw the occupants of car abandon a very large Rottweiler which tried to attack his own dog at the nearby golf course.

The man said the dog was injured with what appeared to be a missing ear and lip. It was last seen near the Kenfig Ponds Nature Reserve.

Anyone seeing the dog is asked to call the council on 01656 643643 or South Wales Police who say they are aware of the reports and there is a police team in the area.

Ospreys announce signing of Welsh international Delve

Wales international back-row forward Gareth Delve has signed for the Ospreys and will move to the region this summer.

It will be the 32-year-old's first professional contract in Wales, having previously played for Bath, Gloucester and Super Rugby side the Melbourne Rebels in Australia.

Delve's move to the Ospreys is his first professional contract in Wales. Credit: PA

The Ospreys announced that Cardiff-born Delve, who won the last of his 11 Wales caps against Italy during the 2010 Six Nations Championship, has agreed a two-year deal.

"I am lucky to have played in some great places, and I've travelled the world, but this opportunity to play in Wales was too good to say no to. Of all the potential moves I could have made at this point of my career, this was the one that really excited me."

– Gareth Delve

Advertisement

Man appears in court following armed siege

A man has appeared in court following an 11-hour armed siege near Corwen in north Wales.

22-year-old Ciaran Thomas Morris was arrested on Thursday morning after the lengthy stand-off with police in the village of Cynwyd.

The seige lasted for 11 hours before Mr Morris was arrested. Credit: ITV Wales News

Morris appeared in handcuffs in the dock at Llandudno magistrates and was remanded in custody to appear at Mold Crown Court on April 10.

He faces charges of affray, making threats to kill a police officer, damaging a police vehicle and possessing a firearm – an air rifle – with intent to cause police officers to fear.

Morris appeared in handcuffs in the dock at Llandudno magistrates. Credit: ITV Wales News

Solicitor Paul McAllinden, defending, said he could not apply for bail at this stage because he had no address to put forward, but would reserve the right to apply at a future hearing.

Elvis fan killed after trip to Memphis for tribute concert

A dedicated Elvis Presley fan from St Davids was killed by a hit-and-run driver after travelling 5,000 miles to Memphis for a concert celebrating the musician's life.

Elvis fan Andrea Ahmed was killed on her 54th birthday. Credit: Wales News Service

Grandmother Andrea Ahmed was killed on her 54th birthday after flying from Britain to the States to see Graceland.

And an inquest heard the driver has never been traced by the US police after the death just a mile away from the legendary Heartbreak Hotel.

The mother-of-one was knocked down just moments after leaving a concert by a tribute act in Elvis' home city in May last year.

Pembrokeshire coroner Mark Layton told the family that very little information, other than that Mrs Ahmed has been struck by a motor vehicle, was available.

"From what we know she had gone out there to see the home of Elvis. It was Elvis week and she was going to meet friends. We know that she had a booking slip for a bus to Orlando, which was due to leave not far from the time she was struck. We do not know if she was going back to the hotel or going for the bus."

– Matthew Francis, Andrea Ahmed's Daughter's partner

She went to see her favourite singer Joe Kent who she had seen "dozens of times over the years".

He sang "Happy Birthday" to Andrea and did a rendition of her favourite song "Yesterday, When I was Young".

"We hugged and said our good nights and I left her in the hotel parking lot. She evidently went back in the hotel and got on their computer in the lobby. Then she must have gone back outside. That's when it happened. She was killed by a hit and run driver. It's just so sad - I am just crushed."

– Joe Kent

The coroner recorded an open verdict at the inquest in Milford Haven.

Load more updates Back to top