1. ITV Report

Hull hammer sad Cardiff

Cardiff City's Kenny Miller vents his frustrations at referee Graham Scott Photo: PA

It was certainly a night to forget for Malky McKay's men as their push for promotion was dealt another blow as they suffered a 3 nil defeat at home to rivals Hull.

Hull have now overtaken Cardiff City in the Championship table, the win last night moved the Tigers into the play-off positions and sent City down into 7th place.

The game wasn't without controversy either and the final whistle saw Malky McKay blast the officials for disallowing Ben Turner's headed goal.

Ben's disallowed goal was a horrendous decision by the assistant referee.

It was incredible and I will send the DVD clip into the Football Association because the officials need to become better.

– Malky McKay, Cardiff City manager

It started badly for Malky Mackay's side when Kevin McNaughton headed past Bluebirds goalkeeper David Marshall after just 6 minutes.

The lively Joshua King had a shot deflected for a corner and Andy Dawson's left-footed delivery seemed harmless until the Scotland full-back stooped to nod home.

Cardiff defender Ben Turner had a headed goal disallowed in the 40th minute for an infringement on Hull goalkeeper Vito Mannone at a corner before the visitors stormed further ahead after the interval.

Two minutes after the re-start, King, on loan from Manchester United, produced a lovely flick to set up centre-back Chester who stabbed the ball home beyond Marshall.

Then controversy ensued again when striker McLean beat the offside trap to seal maximum points from close-range before the hour mark after Marshall saved his initial shot.

Kenny Miller hit the post for Cardiff, but the Scotland striker could not end his goal drought.

But then it is the same official who gave the third goal. I have seen it again and he was at least a yard offside. It was another horrendous decision.

People will see the scoreline and think we have been torn apart but it wasn't the case.

– Malky McKay, Cardiff City manager

Cardiff City will now have to pick themselves up from this defeat and again begin their fight if they are to get back into the play offs.

Their next opponents are Burnely at home this Sunday.