A deal has today been signed, between the Swans and the City's University, to allow the Premier League side to train in new state-of-the-art facilities.
Under the agreement, the University-owned Fairwood playing fields will be leased to the Swans but will also provide a base for competitive fixtures and training for University teams.
The Swans hope to be using the pitches as early as October and the rest of the training facilities are expected to be completed over the next 12 - 18 months.
The facilities outlined in the agreement include:
- 8 full-size pitches, including 2 all-weather pitches
- Dedicated training pitch for the Swans squad, plus their own changing facilities in a refurbished Pavilion
- Additional buildings including further changing facilities, offices, seminar rooms and specialist medical and physiotherapy rooms
– Huw Jenkins, Swansea City Chairman
We are delighted to join forces with Swansea University on this exciting
Our aim as a football club has always been to develop a top-flight training
facility, but also to develop a good working relationship with like-minded
organisations and people.
Swansea City and Swansea University will work together to enhance the
sporting facilities at Fairwood that will form part of the fabric of the city for
many years to come. This project is one we can all be proud of.
– Professor Richard B Davies, University Vice Chancellor
At Swansea University we are serious about sporting success. We have
already invested £20 million in our Sports Village...We want to be able to offer our students an outstanding sporting experience with facilities fit for the 21st century.
Today’s agreement is a big step forward to help us achieve that and it is a particular delight and privilege to collaborate with a Football Club whose success has put Swansea on the global map.