A special ceremony will take place today to mark restoration work undertaken so far on the historic Newbridge Memorial Hall and Institute.
The ‘Memo’, as it is known locally, and the adjoining Institute are being revamped in a £5.6 million project.
With contributions given by the town’s miners, both buildings were built as somewhere that the local community could meet and use the facilities.
The Memo, which included a ballroom and cinema, was built in 1924 as a memorial to local servicemen who died during the First World War.
Meanwhile the Institute, which opened in 1908, included a billiards room, library, committee room and reading room.
Howard Stone, chair of the Memo trustees, described today’s topping out ceremony as a ‘milestone’ in the project so far.
The work forms part of the ongoing £12 million regeneration of Newbridge town centre by Caerphilly County Borough Council.
Contractors Seddon Construction began work in January 2012 on the restoration scheme - designed by Alwyn Jones Architects - for the Grade II-listed Institute and Grade II- listed Memo.
Work proposed so far includes:
- Internal refurbishment of the Institute
- New information and resource centre
- Multipurpose community rooms
- Extension linking the two buildings
- Brick and stonework repairs
- New roof and cleaning of the exterior
The first phase of the restoration is due to be completed in December.
Mining came to an end in the Newbridge area in the 1980s, with Celynen South Colliery closing in 1985, followed by Celynen North in 1989.
The scheme is part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund through the Welsh Government, Welsh Government's Targeted Match Fund, the Heritage Lottery Fund, Big Lottery, CADW, Trustees of the Institute and Memo and the Coalfields Regeneration Trust, amongst others.