1. ITV Report

Meg Burgess death: Man denies manslaughter charge

The court heard three-year-old Meg Burgess suffered 'catastrophic' injuries Photo: Burgess family / Police

A wall that collapsed crushing to death a young girl had been built without any expert advice, Mold Crown Court has heard.

Three-year-old Meg Burgess had been walking home from the shops along a footpath in Meliden, near Prestatyn, with her mother in July 2008 when the wall collapsed.

The court heard Meg suffered 'catastrophic' injuries, and despite attempts to revive her she was pronounced dead 10 minutes after arriving at Glan Clwyd Hospital in Bodelwyddan.

Company director George Collier, 59, of Kinmel Bay, is accused of manslaughter due to gross negligence - a charge he denies.

His company, Parcol Developments, had been hired to build the wall as part of renovation work on a cottage.

It is alleged that he failed to construct the wall so that the blockwork was 'tied' into the foundations with metal rods. The court heard the metal rods were inserted and that blocks were filled with concrete to strengthen it, but it had not improved the safety of the wall.

It is also alleged that there was nothing to warn pedestrians that any work was going on, or of any potential danger.

The court heard that on the morning of the collapse Mr Collier had been seen backfilling the wall, which was over five feet high, with soil and rubble.

Mr Brian Cox, prosecuting, said Mr Collier had 'gambled' with the safety of those walking in the vicinity of the wall.

Meanwhile Meg's mother Lindsay Burgess has described in court how 'beautiful' her daughter looked just seconds before brick and soil 'engulfed' the child as the wall collapsed.

She had a pound pocket money and spent it on some glitter. I was walking along and she was trotting behind. She was telling me we were going to make cakes when we got back. I turned around to look how beautiful she was and she was about a couple of meters away from me. She looked up at me and the wall just came down. It all came down in one go; it engulfed her.

– Lindsay Burgess speaking in Mold Crown Court

George Collier denies manslaughter due to gross negligence and the trial continues.

More on this story