Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Restaurant apologises for serving toddler whisky

Sonny was served the drink at the restaurant in Swansea Photo: D Legakis

A restaurant in Swansea has apologised after a toddler was served whisky instead of fruit juice at his birthday party. Sonny Rees drank the 40 per cent proof whisky at his 2nd birthday party in a Frankie and Benny's restaurant in Swansea.

Sonny's family say they became concerned after he began pulling strange faces and wriggling in his chair. They said they then smelt the whiff of spirits in his glass.

The 2-year-old, who is now recovering at home, was taken to an accident and emergency unit where he was kept under observation by doctors.

The restaurant is now carrying out an investigation into how the mix-up happened.

Sonny's mum Nina Rees, 34, says it was after their first course that they noticed something was wrong.

We went to the restaurant just after midday, and I had ordered him lime juice and water, his favourite. The drinks arrived and I was encouraging him to take sips because he was eating salty things. We had finished our first course when we noticed he was pulling a face as he was drinking. I took it from him and took a sip myself. It was whisky, I would say a double.

– Nina Rees, Sonny's mother

Nina, who is a teacher, says that Sonny had taken about 10 sips and he was obviously intoxicated. She says she complained to the manageress who she says refused to believe her until she took a sip herself.

The reaction of staff at first was awful. They said it couldn't have happened and just went and got him some water and walked off. They more or less dismissed me. I called NHS direct who told me to take him straight to A&E.

– Nina Rees, Sonny's mother

Sonny was later given the all-clear at the hospital and allowed home where he remained ill. The restaurant gave the family a 50 per cent discount on their bill and called Nina and police IT consultant Howell at home in Pontarddulais near Swansea, the next day to apologise.

A Frankie and Benny's spokesman said "The company is incredibly sorry for what happened.

"It was a human error and we are putting measures in place to ensure it never happens again."