1. ITV Report

Prestatyn house fire: three dead, two people arrested

Two people have been arrested on suspicion of murder by police investigating a house fire in which a woman and two children died.

A 20-year-old woman, a boy aged four and a two-year-old girl were pronounced dead by firefighters after the blaze broke out at a property in Maes Y Groes, Prestatyn, on Friday night, a North Wales Police spokeswoman said.

The woman has been named locally as Lee-Anna Shiers.

The 15 month old baby boy is said to be in a critical condition. He is the son of Ms Shiers and her 23 year old partner - believed to be Liam Timbrell - who is receiving treatment for 'serious' injuries.

Ms Shiers is believed to be the aunt of the two children who died.

Neighbours have left flowers and other tributes near the house Credit: Ian Lang/ITV News Wales

"Firefighters from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to a fire at a property in Maes Y Groes, Prestatyn, at 10pm on Friday, October 20 2012," said the spokeswoman.

"Two fire crews from Rhyl and a crew from Prestatyn attended the incident and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property."

– North Wales Fire & Rescue Service spokeswoman

The two people in custody following last night’s fire in Prestatyn are a 45 year old man and a 42 year old woman.

The property involved in the incident at Maes y Groes in Prestatyn is a house which has been converted into ground floor and first floor flats.

The victims of the fire lived in the first floor flat. Those arrested lived in the flat below.

We would appeal for anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the Maes y Groes area of Prestatyn yesterday evening to get in contact as soon as possible by calling us on 101.


Neighbours have paid tribute to Lee-Anna Shiers.

She and Mr Timbrell were described as "the nicest... kindest... sweetest people".

"You don't expect this in Prestatyn", one man added.

A joint investigation is being carried out by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and North Wales Police.

A Welsh Ambulance Services spokeswoman said Mr Timbrell and baby were taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital.

The man was later transferred to Whiston Hospital, Merseyside, while the baby was moved to Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool.

More on this story