The RSPCA is warning pet owners to be more vigilant after a rise in reports of animals suffering poisoning at various locations across Wales.
A family in Bridgend say their dog has suffered liver damage, after someone threw poisoned food into their garden.
Watch Tom Sheldrick's report:
The animal welfare charity says seven cats have died from suspected poisoning in Cardiff in the last few weeks.
Earlier this month, the charity said it was concerned pets were being targeted deliberately after reports of poisoned sausages being left out for animals in Towyn, Denbigshire.
HERE'S THE RSPCA'S ADVICE...
Preventing poisoning in pets:
- Keep an eye on your pet, and what they are doing - whether at home or out and about
- Keep houseplants where your pet cannot reach them
- Ensure the areas they access outside are free from, and not overhung by, poisonous plants
- Keep pesticides away from areas your pet can access
- Ensure their water supplies cannot become contaminated, and change regularly
If they are poisoned, common symptoms include your pet appearing uncoordinated, or having seizures.
What to do if you think your pet has been poisoned:
- Stay calm - remove them from the source of the poison
- Contact your vet immediately - inform them when, where and how poisoning occurred
- If appropriate, take the packaging, plant or substance to the vet
- Never attempt to treat/medicate pets yourself - some medicines for humans and other animals may be poisonous to animals
- Never attempt to make pets vomit - do not use salt water as it’s extremely dangerous
- If skin/fur is contaminated, wash with mild shampoo and water, rinse well and dry
- Keep them away from other animals to avoid cross-contamination