Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Overheating e-cigarette causes fire at student house

The e-cigarette overheated and ignited this bed. Credit: North Wales Fire and Rescue Service

Fire chiefs are warning of the potential dangers of e-cigarettes after one overheated, sparking a fire at a student house.

Crews from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to the property in Bangor yesterday, where they found one of the ground floor bedrooms heavily smoke-logged.

An e-cigarette, which had been left on charge, is thought to have overheated - igniting the bed.

There are warnings that the devices "carry an increased risk of fire".

The damage to the bed is clearly visible. Credit: North Wales Fire and Rescue Service

The students were lucky as the damage could have been much worse and this could easily have been a more serious fire.

The incident highlights how quickly a fire can spread - and the importance of using electrical items correctly and operating them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

The experience of fire and rescue services across the UK is that e-cigarettes can carry an increased risk of fire and we would urge that extra care is needed when using them.

– Terry Williams, North Wales Fire and Rescue Service
This e-cigarette is thought to have overheated while charging. Credit: North Wales Fire and Rescue Service

Two students, who were home at the time, were unhurt.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service has issued the following advice:

  • Only purchase e-cigarettes from a reputable source
  • Only use the battery and charger provided with the e-cigarette - never mix and match
  • Always follow the manufacturer's instructions
  • Turn off and unplug the devices before you go to bed
  • Never leave items on charge or unattended for long periods - e-cigarettes are known to overheat when charging
  • Be aware of general fire safety - for example, check smoke alarms regularly