Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Mum killed by carbon monoxide on first night in new home

An inquest heard Kimberley Jones suffocated in her sleep. Credit: Family Photo

A young mother was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning on the first night in her new home, an inquest heard.

Kimberley Jones, 25, wanted to get the nursery ready for her six-month-old baby after being bought the property by her parents.

But she was killed only hours after moving in because she had no idea the faulty fireplace was leaking deadly levels of toxic fumes.

An inquest into her death heard that Miss Jones suffocated in her sleep in a makeshift bed in the living room in Cwmbach, near Aberdare.

The home at Cwmbach, near Aberdare. Credit: ITV Wales News

Her father, Andrew Jones, was in the process of decorating the property.

He told the inquest he warned his daughter to keep the windows open if she was going to keep the fire.

I told her to keep the windows open because I did not want her to die from carbon monoxide poisoning. That will haunt me for the rest of my days.

I said to my wife later that night I didn't think Kimberley was going to like that fire and we would have to get a gas one.

The following morning I was in Asda and i had a call from my wife saying she could not get hold of Kimberley. She was dead.

– Father, Andrew Jones

Heating engineer Howard Reed carried out an investigation on behalf of South Wales Police.

He told the inquest he believed the fire appliance had not been serviced for about 'four or five years'.

The property's former owner, Linda Parfaitt, a former friend of the Jones family who sold it to them, claimed she had the fire appliance serviced every 12 to 18 months. She denied neglecting to maintain it.

Coroner Andrew Barkley returned a narrative verdict that Kimberley died as a result of blocked flue which caused carbon monoxide to disperse into the room.

Hannah Thomas reports.