Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Young DJ died on Berlin holiday after being poisoned by ecstasy, inquest told

Ben Rees was a students union events organiser. Credit: Wales News Service

A young DJ died on holiday in Berlin after being poisoned by the drug ecstasy, an inquest has heard.

Ben Rees, 23, was in the German capital with six friends when he took ecstasy on a night out.

Swansea University Students' Union events organiser Mr Rees, died as a result of multiple organ failure.

Mr Rees, originally from Abernant, Aberdare, but living in Swansea, died as a result of multiple organ failure.

The inquest heard it was caused by MDMA toxicity.

Mr Rees, a history graduate with "an appetite for travelling", had gone out with friends on the night of 15th July.

Mr Rees got separated from his group and was found shaking close to a railway station by another group of tourists. They took him to their hotel but his condition worsened.

The inquest heard they called the emergency services and Mr Rees was taken to Berlin Military hospital where he was resuscitated twice before he died.

Assistant coroner Graham Hughes recorded a conclusion of drug-related death at the inquest in Aberdare.

His parents Nadia and Huw, older brother Alex and girlfriend Hollie have paid tribute to Ben, who "lived life to the full."

Ben was well-loved son, brother, grandson, great grandson, boyfriend to Hollie and friend who will be missed so much.

Ben was a team player, an individual, a crowd-pleaser and a peacemaker – he had so many attributes.

Ben made an impression on us all and touched each one of us in different ways.

We will all have our own memories, and those moments and times.

Ben lived his life to the full, fair and just, always looking for the best in people.

– Family tribute