Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Mum died of wasp sting while on family holiday in Brecon Beacons

A mother was killed by a wasp after a rare illness made her super-sensitive to stings.

Angela Kendrick was unaware of the seriousness of her condition. Credit: Wales News Service

Retired shopworker Angela Jacqueline Kendrick, 69, collapsed from allergic shock after being stung while on a family holiday in the countryside.

An inquest heard she had Mast Cell Disorder which puts sufferers at risk of high sensitivity to stings and can kill.

But her family said she was not made "fully aware" of the risks of the allergic reaction - and tried to use an onion to get treat the sting.

Credit: PA

Mother-of-two Angela, of Hatfield, Herts, collapsed on a family break in the Brecon Beacons in September last year.

Her daughter Allison Kendrick, 46, called for other sufferers to being warned of the dangers of the reaction to stings.

The only way I can cope with the loss of my beautiful mum, is the hope that her story can, in some way, lead to changes being made within the care of patients with severe allergies so that further deaths can be avoided.

The void she has left in our lives is unbearable,

– daughter, Allison Kendrick

The hearing was told former Boots and Tesco worker Angela was on the family break with her two daughters and retired butcher husband David, 72, when she was stung.

Allison heard her father say: "Have you been stung?" before a commotion broke out in their rented holiday cottage.

She said: "Mum was trying to treat the sting using an onion.

"I said to her: "What are you doing?" She replied: "I'm trying to get the sting out."

Allison told the inquest the old wives' tale treatment of an onion for a sting showed her mum's "lack of education" about her condition.

Her sister injected adreniline from her mum's EpiPen on her to counteract the allergic reaction as the family called an ambulance.

But the inquest hear Angela began having trouble breathing, described by her daughter as an "awful rasping which was "horrible."

The family were on a break in the Brecon Beacons. Credit: PA

Mrs Kendrick was taken to Nevill Hall Hospital in Abergavenny because paramedics had run out of adreniline medication - but she was pronounced dead at 10.15am.

Allison told how her mother was diagnosed with Mast Cell Disorder in 2003 - an excess number in body tissues of the cells which fight allergic reaction.

But she was not warned about the dangers until she suffered a sting seven years later.

Her family say she was not referred to a specialist until last year - but her treatment was not due to start until three months after she died.

A post mortem examination gave the cause of death was anaphylactic shock and wasp sting.

It appears Mrs Kendrick was unaware of the consequences of her condition as she would go out leaving her EpiPen at home.

– Gwent coroner, Wendy James

Newport Coroner's Court heard Mrs Kendrick would have "benefited" from being provided with further information about anaphylaxis from doctors and being put in touch with a support group.

Through her ignorance she placed her life in danger, which I am sure she would not have done had she been appraised of the risks of this condition.

It's not the purpose of this inquest to apportion blame or liability. She died as a severe adverse reaction to a wasp sting which is a natural cause of death.

– Gwent coroner Wendy James

Offering her sympathy to the family, she recorded a narrative conclusion that Angela's reaction to the sting was so severe "due to her existing Mast Cell Disorder."