Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Crews issue Dos and Don'ts after Christmas light fire

Fire crews in Pembrokeshire have urged people to make sure they have proper working smoke alarms, after crews were called to a fire over the weekend caused by Christmas lights.

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service has issued a list of Dos and Don'ts Credit: PA Archive

Firefighters were called to a house in Charles Street in Milford Haven in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The fire was caused by Christmas tea lights in the living room.

Crews took just over half an hour to put out the fire.

These photos taken after show the damage caused.

Credit: MAWWFRS
Credit: MAWWFRS

This incident could have been much worse had the occupants not been alerted to the fire by a working smoke alarm. I would like to take this opportunity to stress the importance of fitting a smoke alarm and testing it every week.> We all love Christmas lights, but we often forgetthat Christmas lights are used far less than everyday lights, and so requiremore care.> When arranging your lights, please follow themanufacturer’s instructions, check that your Christmas lights carry the BritishStandard sign and replace any bulbs that blow.> These light bulbs can burn through materials suchas paper of fabrics so please do not attach decorations to lights or heaters.> Make this a Christmas to remember for the rightreasons, always ensure that you switch all Christmas lights off and unplug thembefore leaving the house or going to bed

– Steve Davies, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service

The fire service has issued a list of Do's and Dont's to stay safe this Christmas:

DO

  • Display your lights according to the manufacturer's instructions
  • Make sure you buy Christmas lights from a reputable supplier
  • Check the fuses are the right type
  • Replace any bulbs that blow
  • Only use outside leads for outside lights
  • Test the batteries in your smoke alarm every week

DON'T

  • Don't leave Christmas lights on when you go out or go to sleep
  • Don't overload sockets and extension leads
  • Don't attach decorations to lights or heaters that can burn easily
  • Don't let Christmas tree lightbulbs touch anything that can burn easily, like paper or fabrics