Porthcawl's planned Maritime Centre has been given the green light for £2.1m EU funding.
The centre is is the first phase of the Porthcawl Resort Investment Focus programme which aims to transform Porthcawl into a high quality destination within Wales that will attract new visitors to the area.
The Welsh Government says it has has the potential to accommodate 55 jobs as well as supporting jobs during the construction phase, providing employment opportunities for local people.
The £5.5m centre is backed by funds from the Big Lottery the Welsh Government along with private investment.
It will include:
- A new ‘Coastal Science and Discovery Centre - “SeaQuest”
- A new headquarters for the Welsh Surfing Federation
- A new training unit for the Sea Cadets,
- A new base to secure the future of the Coastguard Services,
- A well being centre
- A Wave rider attraction
- A learning café/bistro
- A prestige restaurant.
- Ancilliary commercial activities – crèche and marina services
- External performance and events space
- Shared business base for several local charities