Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Concerns raised after series of suspected cat poisonings in Pembrokeshire village

Katina Andreou's cat, Mr Mistoffelees was found dead after being missing for a number of weeks. Credit: Katina Andreou

An urgent appeal has been launched following fears of up to 20 possible cat poisonings in a Pembrokeshire village.

Two Cilgerran cats have already been put to sleep at a veterinary practice in Cardigan after having been found to have acute kidney failure - which vets believed to be a consequence of poisoning.

RSPCA Cymru say they are increasingly concerned following reports of a number of local cats going missing in recent months.

It isn’t clear whether these poisonings were deliberate, or a tragic accident, but we are deeply saddened to learn of the three cats who have recently died in Cilgerran.

Anyone with any pertinent information is urged to contact our inspectorate appeal line on 0300 123 8018, with all calls treated in confidence.

We'd also remind local cat owners as to the importance of acting with vigilance at this time.

If a poisoning is suspected, it's important the owner remains calm, moves the animal away from any suspected source of poison, and contacts a vet straight away.

– Holly Brown, RSPCA inspector

Cilgerran resident Katina Andreou had not seen her black and white cat for two weeks before he was found dead on Thursday 29th June.

I was finding that I seemed to always be sharing missing cat posts from the Cilgerran area. We’re a small village, and it seemed unusual to see so many posts about cats that had gone missing.

Sadly, one of our cats - Mr. Mistoffelees – went missing on June 16, and was found dead on the evening of June 29. We're speaking to vets to see if we can find out what happened to him.

These poisoning incidents, and the missing cats, are all from properties within a 10-minute walking radius.

There could be an innocent explanation for why the recent poisoning events happened, but I’m really eager to work with RSPCA Cymru and other agencies to raise awareness.

We’re also asking local people to check their garages or consider ways a poisonous substance could accidentally be consumed by a pet.

– Katina Andreou